Any plans for next week? Maybe Spain is a good destination…welcome to Expofrancia 2011 at Madrid (May 5 to 7)
Holding 35% of the franchising head offices operating in Spain and 10% of the associated trade, Madrid is the ideal place for introducing products and services to the market, with the best business possibilities. The fair shows a wide range of business and investment possibilities, in a comfortable working environment.
EXPOFRANQUICIA promotes information, advice and knowledge through specific services and parallel activities to those people who are interested in finding out basic information or expanding their knowledge on this commercial practice that has increasing presence in our country.
In our country, only 5% of small businesses are franchises. This represents real opportunities for foreign franchises, especially as the market in their home country becomes saturated.
Some current information about the Spaniard market, provides a snapshot of the industry:
Total revenue for this year is estimated at €21 billion ($27 billion).
There are 1000 separate franchise systems in Spain, representing 73,000 units.
As for country of origin, Spanish franchise systems dominate the market and now account for almost 83 percent of the sector. The remaining 17 percent of the franchise systems are mainly from the United States, France and Italy.
The Spanish market is made up of a number of regional markets joined by the two hubs of Madrid and Barcelona. Eighty percent of the master franchisors are based in just four areas: Madrid, Catalonia, Valencia and Andalusia.
The key Spanish legislation about franchising is:
a) Ley 7/1996, de 15 de enero, de Ordenación del Comercio Minorista, Boletín Oficial del Estado, 15 del 17 june 1996, Regulation of Retail Trading
b) Real decreto 2485/1998 de 13 de noviembre, por el que se desarrolla el artículo 62 de la Ley 7/1996, de 15 de enero, de Ordenación del Comercio Minorista, relativo a la regulación del régimen de franquicia, y se crea el Registro de Franquiciadores. Replaced by c) below
c) the decree was amended by Royal Decree N° 419/2006 of 7 April 2006 (Boletín Oficial del Estado, number 100 of 27 April 2006) which modifies Real Decreto 2485/1998 de 13 de noviembre, relativo a la regulación del régimen de franquicia y el registro de franquiciadores. Replaced by d) below
d) the decree was again amended by Royal Decree N° 201/2010 of 26th February 2010 por el que se regula el ejercicio de la actividad comercial en régimen de franquicia y la communicacion de datos al registro de franquiciadores. Version in Spanish:Royal Decree 419/2006, modifying some aspects of RD 2485/1998.
More information about Spain and Franchising:
Linkedin Group Franchising in Spain: http://www.linkedin.com/groups?about=&gid=1816873&trk=anet_ug_grppro
Spanish Franchisers Association (AEF)
C/ Juan Ramón Jiménez, 8, 1ª planta, despacho 4
Tel: +34 912 776 410
Spanish Franchisee Association (AEDEF)
Raimundo Fernandez Villaverde, 55 local
Tel: +34 902 404 050
Fax:: + 34 91 576 3160
Dates: May 7-9, 2009